Monday, April 2, 2012

For years (all of my adult life really) I have said "I can't cook", or "I don't cook." Over the last few years (after having kids) I learned to cook a little, but mostly stuff that included mostly premade stuff. Then Pinterest came into my life... and my cooking got significantly better. Over the holidays last year, I really started baking a lot of yummy dessert treats. I then progressed to several baked chicken dishes that were still pretty simple, or things that only involved the crock pot. Last night I think I ruined my chances of ever being able to say "I don't cook." Last night I made homemade Chicken Pot Pies! And by homemade, I mean from scratch. Yep, even the crust I made from scratch. I know, crazy right! I took pictures along the way to prove it.

Filling in the crock pot.
The only thing prepackaged I used was the cream of chicken soup,
and the peas and carrots were frozen.

Pie crust cut out and in the pie tin.

Filled pie crust, just waiting for the top crust.

I made little muffin size ones for the boys. Unfortunately they are both sick so they didn't eat them.
I froze the leftover ones,they will make a good quick lunch sometime.

These two I wrapped in foil and put in the freezer for Andy and I to have another day.
I coated the crust with an egg wash to keep it from getting soggy.

Finished products! I really need to do this when the weather is cold, but oh well.

I love that my freezer is slowly getting stocked with meals I can pull out later when I don't feel like cooking. I also love that I am wasting less food, because I am learning to freeze what we don't use. Oh, another great perk about making these... I had a little crust left over so I made cinnamon crisps!

So... Thank you Pinterest!

No comments: